Sunday, October 16, 2011

Reflection

Right now I think I am more controlled than warm and in the future, this will not changed. I view teaching as a parent even though I’m not a parent. I don’t care if you like me. I do care that you have the basically standards in place to go forward in life. That being said, I’m going to make it known upfront: I’m not your friend. I am your teacher. I’m here to help you be the best you that you can be. Other than that, I may not always understand or know what you are going through but I will try to empathize and assist if need be. I don’t plan to be an “Authoritarian teacher” because I feel like in History, this leads to mutinies and overthrows-it’s too extreme. But there is behavior that I will and will not tolerate from my students and will make that known upfront. I don’t agree that the teacher should be the focus of the room. In my own teaching I plan to structure my lessons as mini Socratic seminars or mini-lectures. I don’t like teacher-centered classrooms. I don’t like people talking at me on end. I find that I usually like to hear what my students/peers have to say rather than my teachers. That being said, there is rigidness to teacher-centered classrooms that I find un-stimulating and stifling. More importantly, I want to hear how my students think and if they are able to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment